jody powell is a student of leadership in embry riddle aeronautical university's

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Reflective Analysis

According to Carl G. Jung's theory of psychological types people can be characterized by their preference of general attitude, perception, and functions of judging, :


  • Extroverted (E) vs. Introverted (I)
  • Sensing (S) vs. Intuition (N)
  • Thinking (T) vs. Feeling (F)
  • Judging (J) vs. Perceiving (P)


Using these four dichotomies 16 different combinations, or personality types, can help describe an individual's personality characteristics. I am an ENTP.

ENTP - Extraverted, iNtuitive, Thinking, Perceiving. Yep, this is me... to a "T".

The ENTP description states that my type is clever, verbally as well as cerebrally quick, innovative and ingenious. I enjoy being stimulated by physical or intellectual things, problem solving, and being described as an optimist. I tend to question authority, and am extremely loyal. ENTPs have a need have areas of expertise, excellence, and uniqueness. We are competitive in nature.

So, that being said... why is there a need to classify people into 16 different categories? What's the purpose or point? The answer... understanding. Breaking down the multitude of cultural, religious, ethnic, and gender characteristics that define us all into 16 useful generalizations can help us understand ourselves as well as those we interact with. This isn't a pinpoint, cookie-cutter science of classification, but a generalization of certain personality traits we share and exhibit. 

At our very core existence we are social creatures. We depend on interacting with others for our very survival (even the extremely isolated mountain man relies on others from time-to-time). If we are to succeed in this life, by whatever definition we place on the word, we would be better equipped if we can better understand those in which we are in contact with. If we are to be leaders... it is even more important to know our followers. 

In my office we are few, but effective. We don;t have the luxury of hundreds of employees milling around a complex organizational structure. We are 5, maybe 7 strong at our highest peek of performance. This is a ripe environment to learn and understand each other's strengths and weaknesses... and to evoke the best from each other. For example, my sales manger is meticulous, driven, and focused... but rather naive to the world and others. Understanding her and how she perceives her surroundings helps me to find her motivational buttons and get her to push her limitations. My production manager is bull-headed, and full of pride... but extremely talented and dependable. I wouldn't approach these two extremely different individuals with the same tactics. Instead, I would be more successful catering to their individual personalities. 

More important than understanding others is understanding yourself. How I react to those around me, learn from my interactions, and seek to improve myself will better enable me to grow as a person. As Jung described I am clever, but this can work against me if I am not aware of the pros and cons of being clever and when to use it. I may be intuitive, but am I willing to learn from others? Am I fighting the "system" to make it better, or is it just in my nature to do so? Knowing the answers to these questions will help me be a better all-around individual. And for me and my definition of success, the more intend I am with who I am the better service I will be to those in my life.

JP

No comments:

Post a Comment