jody powell is a student of leadership in embry riddle aeronautical university's

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Management Assessment of Steve Jobs and NeXT

Without a doubt, Steve Jobs is haralded as one of the most influential entrepreneurs of his time. His work and vision helped launch Apple, one of the most recognized names in personal computers and applications. He was a true visionary, and like most big-vision people Steve Jobs had his share of successes and failures. One of his biggest failures was his attempt to "change the world" with NeXT.

During Jobs' initial run with Apple his relationship within the organization took a turn for the worst. The result... Steve Jobs was kicked out. Setbacks are not uncommon for entrepreneurs, and Jobs was going to take his vision and financial earnings to create a start up that would endeavor to bring to market a cost effective computer that would target and change universities for ever. He created NeXT, a tech-company built with some of the most loyal Jobs techies. NeXT never did reach their end goals, and ultimately was bought out by Apple, which brought about "Round Two" for Jobs and Apple.

Jobs' efforts at NeXT was documented in a video. In a sobering look at how genius operates, this video demonstrated how difficult it was for the most brightest innovators to work under Jobs' expectations. His gravitational appeal was so attractive that he almost fooled his team of innovators that the impossible could actually be possible. Reality, on the other hand, dealt a very different set of cards for NeXT and its team.

Knowing myself, I would have definitely signed on to work on a start up with Jobs if he were to ask me. In a time of accelerated innovation and advancement in computers and software, who wouldn't have followed one of the men who started it all? However, once that ether ran its course, and the reality of working under a mad-scientist type genius with lofty goals and visions gave way to impossibility I would have been among the many in the NeXT team wondering if I had hitched my wagon to the wrong horse.

It is one thing to have a vision and shoot for the stars, and for every Steve Jobs and Bill Gates there are probably thousands of unknown casualties lining the hillsides of Silicone Valley. What he did with Apple from the beginning was that one in a million opportunity that happened at the right time with the right people. A hard feat to duplicate in a highly competitive industry. Where Steve failed at his attempt with NeXT was that he tried to go it alone, and by this I mean by severing important ties with other pioneers like Microsoft and Apple. The foundation for success was already laid out with these giants, and a partnership with these companies would have been the key to success for NeXT. However, Jobs' pride and arrogance led him into an uphill battle with very little support. He had the money to back him, but he needed the network to make his vision a reality.

In my Management Assessment Profile, a keyed in on a few characteristics that would have not bode very well with Jobs' NeXT adventure. First off, I like an established structure with established rules and guidelines to build off of. I don't fancy building an organization from scratch when there are many organizational structures already in existence that could serve as a guide to success. I need to be able to create my path from a solid foundation, and NeXT never seemed to grasp their foundational vision and structure.

Secondly, I am financially motivated. This  would have prompted me to join forces with a 30 year old billionaire, but once I saw the ship sinking I would have been one troubled employer... especially when I witnessed such extravagant waste in the early ages of development.

Finally, I am a loyal team player with a very realistic view point. It would have torn me apart to see NeXT implode from within when we were all so hungry for success. It would have been a hard pill to swallow if I would have found myself out of a job while Jobs jumped ship back to Apple in all its splendor.

For me, I would have loved to have been a part of the sales team in Steve's meetings. I would have had no problem telling him that the product is not as advertised and I cannot take a less than promised product to market. I would have loved to have been that voice that said "Look guys, you set this venture in motion, and I have some serious buyers who are willing to purchase this computer, but you need to either come to the table with what you set out to build, or face the reality that this just isn't going to work". Basically, give me something to sell, or quit blowing a lot of smoke.

There is no doubt Steve Job's influence changed our world. However, even the strongest of entrepreneurs have their pros and cons.



JP

No comments:

Post a Comment